The Chest (rewrite)
Outside, the winds sounded like a cat fight
as I rummaged in the attic that night
a chest partially hidden from sight
rested in the shadows of beaming light marked
it drew my attention with its' ancient form
inviting me with desires strong
to examine its contents in darkness cast
my heartbeat quickened fast
as the latches sprung and lid opened
I waited for the light to reveal a fortune
Would there be gleaming gold within
I paused, with deep breath taken in
To my surprise the chest was full of words
some nouns, adjectives and adverbs
strange ones, short ones, and long ones abound
also in the mix, verbs and pronouns
enough words to construct sentences
beautiful words containing literary essence
words to build book bound chapters
books worthy of readers' raptures
'Twas a treasure greater than gold
bits of consciousness and wisdom sown
to grow into novels and classic poems
and to be treasured in all societys' homes
Aucun commentaire:
Publier un commentaire